Relocating to a new country can be an exciting and challenging efforts, especially when you have your family and dependents to consider. If you are an ambitious entrepreneur planning to move under the Innovator Founder Visa program, it’s essential to understand the intricacies of relocating with your loved ones. In this guide, we will provide you with valuable insights and practical tips to ensure a seamless relocation experience for you and your family.
Understanding the UK Innovator Founder Visa
The UK Innovator Founder Visa is a special program designed to attract entrepreneurial talent to specific countries. It offers unique opportunities for tech innovators and entrepreneurs to establish and grow their startups in a supportive business ecosystem. Alongside the primary visa applicant, the program allows for the inclusion of family members and dependents, making it an attractive option for those seeking to build a new life abroad.
Relocating with family requires careful planning to ensure a smooth transition. Our team at Tech Nomads can assist you in navigating the relocation process, offering valuable insights and resources to help you find the right accommodation and handle logistics smoothly. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind:
Research the Destination Country: Gain a thorough understanding of the country you are planning to move to UK. Research its culture, education system, healthcare facilities, and quality of life. This will help you and your family acclimate more easily to the new environment.
Engage with Local Communities: Seek out expat communities, social groups, and professional networks in your destination country. Connecting with like-minded individuals will provide invaluable support, guidance, and a sense of belonging during your relocation.
Assess Educational Opportunities: If you have children, research the education system in your destination country. Identify suitable schools and understand the admission process to ensure a seamless transition for your children’s education.
Healthcare and Insurance: Familiarise yourself with the healthcare system of the host country. Research health insurance options for your family to ensure comprehensive coverage and access to medical facilities.
Accommodation and Logistics Support:Finding suitable accommodation and managing logistics can be a daunting task when moving to a new country.
The Innovator Founder Visa allows your partner and children to apply at the same time if they meet the eligibility criteria. Alternatively, they can apply separately at a later date if they are not eligible yet. Even after you obtain indefinite leave to remain, they can still extend their visa as your dependents.
Eligibility for Partners:
To qualify as a partner under the Innovator Founder Visa, the following criteria must be met:
- Permission as a Dependent: Your partner should have permission to be in the UK as your dependent, either on the Innovator Founder Visa or the Innovator Visa.
- Continuous Residence: Your partner must have lived in the UK with you as a dependent for a minimum of 5 consecutive years.
- Genuine Relationship: The relationship between you and your partner must be genuine, with the intention to continue living together in the UK.
- Sufficient Income: You should have enough income to support both yourselves and any dependents.
- English Language Requirements: Your partner must meet the English language requirements, demonstrating proficiency in English.
- Life in the UK Test: Passing the Life in the UK Test is a requirement for partners to be eligible for the Innovator Founder Visa.
Eligibility for Children:
Children can apply as dependents if they have permission to be in the UK as your child and meet certain criteria, such as not being married, in a civil partnership, or living an independent life. They must also live with you and be financially supported by you without relying on public funds. Additionally, there are specific situations where children can apply to settle in the UK, such as being the child’s sole surviving parent or having sole responsibility for the child.
Additional Documents for Children Over 16:
When applying for children over 16, you will need to provide additional documents to prove their residence and financial support. These may include bank statements, rent or upkeep payments, and official letters from their school, college, or university.
Children 18 and Over:
Older children can apply if they were under 18 when they received permission to be in the UK as your dependents and still do not live an independent life. They must also pass the Life in the UK Test and meet the English language requirements. It’s important to note that British citizenship for family members will be obtained after 5 years, not 3 years.
Tech Nomads: Your Relocation Guide
When it comes to relocating to the UK with your family under the Innovator Founder Visa, Tech Nomads is here to assist you every step of the way. From accommodation and logistics support to guidance on visa requirements for your partner and children, we provide comprehensive relocation assistance. Our experienced team will ensure a smooth transition, allowing you to focus on your entrepreneurial journey in the UK.
Visa Application Process
Navigating the visa application process is crucial for a successful relocation. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Eligibility Criteria: Thoroughly review the eligibility criteria for the Innovator Founder Visa program, ensuring you meet all the requirements.
- Compile Required Documents: Gather all the necessary documents, including personal identification, proof of funds, business plans, and any other supporting materials specified by the visa authorities.
- Seek Professional Guidance: Tech Nomads offer a comprehensive support in relocating to the UK with your partner under the Innovator Founder Visa. Our expertise will make your relocation experience seamless and hassle-free.
- Submit Application and Follow-up: Complete the visa application accurately and submit it within the specified timeframe. Keep track of the application’s progress and promptly respond to any requests for additional information.
Preparing Your Family
Relocating with family involves ensuring their emotional well-being and a smooth transition into the new environment. Consider the following:
- Communication: Keep open lines of communication with your family members. Discuss the move, address any concerns, and encourage them to share their feelings and expectations.
- Cultural Orientation: Provide your family with information about the culture, customs, and traditions of the destination country. Encourage them to explore and embrace the new culture, fostering a sense of curiosity and respect.
3. Language Learning: If the destination country has a different language, consider enrolling your family in language classes. Learning the local language will help them integrate into the community and make the relocation experience more enjoyable.
4. Explore Recreational Activities: Research recreational activities, parks, and entertainment options suitable for your family’s interests. Engaging in leisure activities will help your family establish a sense of belonging and make new friends.
Helpful organisation: Meetup – An online platform that allows individuals and families to find and join local groups and events based on their interests.
Relocating with family under the UK Innovator Founder Visa program offers an exciting opportunity to embark on a new entrepreneurial journey while ensuring your loved ones can thrive in a new environment. By planning ahead, understanding the visa application process, and prioritising your family’s well-being, you can make the relocation experience seamless and enjoyable. Embrace the adventure, make the most of the opportunities available, and create a fulfilling life for yourself and your family in your new home.
Remember, each family’s journey is unique, and adapting to change takes time. Stay patient, flexible, and open-minded as you embark on this new chapter of your life as a tech nomad.
- UK IMMIGRATION
- UK INNOVATOR FOUNDER VISA
- UK TECH VISA